Have your quarterly, bi-annual, or annual conferences become dull and a little bit boring? As the organizer for your conference, your shoulders feel the heavy weight of trying to come up with something different every time and often you only end up extremely exhausted and under-appreciated by your colleagues.
You put a ton of time and effort coming up with topics and speakers that are important to the success of your organization only to hear complaints about, “Why this again” or “We do the same thing every time,” “I don’t have the time to attend” and “It’s not worth my time.”
Human beings learn better when they are having fun and when the event, conference or program contains a balanced and innovative mix of education and entertainment.
Here are some tips to help you achieve that – and yes, of course, BECAUZ Events can help with many of them.
- Make sure your next event includes some fun! Include some comedy, particularly during the day, to break up a heavy program. Show a fun video during a presentation, have some upbeat music for when people walk in and exit the room. This creates a different feel than walking into a room that has no atmosphere.
- Engage a professional Master of Ceremonies to provide continuity and leave you free to deal with any unplanned situations as they arise.
- A full day of keynote (plenary) speeches is not conducive to sustained concentration. Plan some interactive workshop sessions, or a panel discussion to keep attendees stimulated and interested.
- Plan some energizing activities to help attendees maintain focus. Simple five-minute spots to restore energy and concentration is all it takes and they are fun to do.
- Insert a memorable 2-3hour team event into the program. It splits up the day and gives more value to people participating, particularly if it focuses on areas that you are looking to improve on – e.g. collaboration, communication. Ensure the activity ties into the overall theme of your Conference, Event or Team Meeting.
- Allow time for networking, particularly during evening functions. Select an entertainment package that creates an environment for this.
- Be innovative in the ways you deliver information. Consider an interview format, instead of yet another presentation. You don’t want Death by PowerPoint!
- Set up a community (Facebook, Internet Site etc.) where delegates can access information prior to conference, and give feedback both during and after your event. Be sure to post photos if appropriate.
- Ensure your food and beverage menu is designed to help attendees maintain focus. Heavy, rich meals and morning snacks are out! Fresh fruit, light savories and healthy cookies are in! Ask for light lunches, gourmet sandwiches, salads and other light food.
- Ensure there is plenty of fresh water available at all times, both for speakers and attendees.
- Finally, remember to schedule a proper debriefing meeting afterwards, for all parties involved.