You’ve taken the leap and set up your first appointment with your business coach. Now what?
If the thought of meeting with a business coach is a bit daunting, here are some questions to consider before your first session. Don’t expect to have all the answers—that’s partly what your coaching experience will be about.
BECAUZ Coaching is a systematic set of conversations aimed at enhancing work performance and personal development toward agreed goals and outcomes. Our approach enables you to draw on your own experience, skills, expertise and intuition to:
- Help you to reflect and plan;
- Help you discover creative solutions for work and your personal life; and
- Design and create your desired future.
To prepare for your first session, I encourage you to consider some questions.
- What’s prompting you to have coaching? Why now?
- What are your preconceived notions/expectations about coaching?
- Do you have a specific goal in mind?
- What does a successful coaching program look and feel like for you? How will you know if your coaching program is working?
- Have you had coaching before? Is there a coaching style or personality that brings out the best in you?
- How do you usually respond when you’re stuck on a problem?
- And perhaps a tough one: are you prepared to be honest and open with your Coach?
Most people will arrive at their first session still mulling over at least some these questions. That’s good. It will give you plenty to talk to your coach about.
One final thought: the success of your coaching engagement relies on the strength of the partnership and level of trust you create with your Coach. I encourage you to share an important answer with your Coach: What can he or she do to earn your trust?
Also, be willing to share your own questions with your coach. He or she is there is help you. Good luck and enjoy the coaching!